My Journey With Trigeminal Neuralgia

My Journey With Trigeminal Neuralgia

Friday, May 27, 2011

Well, I have been doing so fabulously on that medication that I have felt no need to write. I had not even noticed how long it had been since I started taking it. I was so incredibly happy to finally have found something that worked. Even though nothing cures or treats TN completely, there are things to ease the frequency and severity of attacks. Instead of having multiple long attacks a day, I went from having maybe one or two short ones a month. It changed my quality of life dramatically. Now, because of a wisdom tooth infection and changes in the weather, I haven't been doing too great.

I went to my doctor a few days ago, and told him I had been getting more attacks, and he automatically upped my dosage of this medication. He said I was on the minimum dosage, and if I felt I needed more, I shouldn't even hesitate. I have been waiting till I get paid to see what kind of negotiation I can work out on the price of the medication again (since I will be needing more). But I had an attack last night that started at one a.m. and lasted until four a.m. My wisdom tooth that I still have intact on my TN side is infected (I think), which is a definite trigger for an attack. Because of how awful my teeth are, most of my teeth problems on that side will trigger it. I believe now that my TN contributed to the pain I had from abscesses in my lower molars, all which have since been pulled. I was not aware of my diagnosis when I had these pulled. In my communication with others who share my diagnosis, teeth problems seem very common among those with Trigeminal Neuralgia.

Weather is also an issue for people with TN. We are like barometers, when the weather changes from cold to warm, or visa verse, it worsens our pain. When we go outside, the slightest breeze or sun shining directly on our TN side will start an attack. It causes many of us to barely be able to leave our homes. I have been lucky to not have an issue with breezes and such. Only when the weather changes is when I get worse. The weather here has been very bipolar lately, which is why I have not been doing so great.

I always post in hopes that someone with a similar story will read this and feel a sense of connection with what I have been through. This is a very lonely disease, and we need as many friends who can empathize as possible. My other hope is that someone who is not aware what is wrong with them may read this and realize that this is what they have been going through, and that it may help them to seek treatment. Take my advice, it is worth it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment